Hello all! Welcome to rainstormreads! Being a life-long lover of literature, voracious reader, and aspiring writer, I decided to combine these interests in the form of a blog. Thus, rainstormreads was launched in January 2021, named for my love of curling up in the comfort of a novel on rainy days (though reading is wonderful in any sort of weather!). One of my primary goals for this blog is to promote diverse and Own Voices books with positive representation of POC, disabled, LGBTQ+, and other marginalized authors and characters. While I make an effort to read as diversely as possible, books that are inspired by Asian cultures and that feature Asian representation are especially close to my heart. I also have a soft spot for books with bisexual and nonbinary representation. I aim to spotlight and share my thoughts on books that have impacted me, discuss literature with others, and discover new/upcoming releases. Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to check out my blog!
MEET THE BLOGGER
Greetings everyone, my name is Bella (they/she)! I’m a 26 year old nonbinary and bisexual, multiracial Asian American. I live on unceded Ohlone land (SF Bay Area) and am currently working in education. I recently completed my Bachelor of Arts in Global Studies and will soon complete an Associate Degree in Early Childhood Education. I consider myself an adventurous reader in terms of genre, but I tend to gravitate towards LGBTQ+, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, and romance. Additionally, I love poetry, mythology, and retellings. I’m particularly passionate about diverse and Own Voices books, as well as uplifting authors of color!
I also run Literasian Book Club with my dear friend Cossette! Literasian is a discord-based book club focused on celebrating Asian literature and authors. Check us out on twitter or come join our discord server here!
Some of my favorite books include The Bone Shard Daughter by Andrea Stewart, Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers, The Ones We’re Meant to Find by Joan He, Raybearer by Jordan Ifueko, and Hani and Ishu’s Guide to Fake Dating by Adiba Jaigirdar. When I’m not diving into a book or perched at my laptop to study, I can typically be found journaling, spending far too long building playlists, attempting to write, trying out new recipes, playing cozy games (like Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley), or hanging out with my dog, Stella.
- I’m a recovering theatre enthusiast and particularly love musicals! Some of my favorite shows are Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812, Amélie, Allegiance, and Venice.
- I adore animals of all sorts! I previously volunteered/interned with education programs at my local zoo for five years. A few animals I’m particularly fond of are: dogs, elephants, and llamas/alpacas.
- Dogspotting is a beloved pastime of mine––if you’ve spent time with me in person, there’s a high likelihood I’ve paused mid-conversation to point out a passing pup!
- I love baseball! I went to my first game when I was in first grade and have been hooked ever since.
- No matter what I do, I almost always have music playing! My Spotify is an eccentric assortment; I enjoy at least one song from every genre I’ve listened to so far. A few of my favorite music artists include: Rina Sawayama, Mitski, Janelle Monáe, mxmtoon, Bastille, and UMI. I also delight in music from decades prior to my birth (primarily the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s), though I do enjoy a good childhood throwback.